Houston Debt Collections Defense Attorneys Advocate for Your Rights
Skilled debt collector lawsuit defense in Texas
The unfortunate element of most debt collector suits is that you rarely know you’re at risk of being sued before you’re served with the papers. At the Law Office of David A. Fernandez, P.C., our debt defense litigators in Houston offer comprehensive debt collection defense strategies that are custom-built for your case. We take on the debt collectors who are building a case against, and work to systematically eliminate their evidence – and your debt – once and for all.
The fundamentals of a debt collection suit
Collectors fall into two categories:
- Original collectors. Original collectors — such as credit card companies or mortgage providers — own the original debt. When you applied for credit or a loan, you did so from that particular company.
- Debt buyers. Collection agencies can buy out debt from other companies, usually for pennies on the dollar. In recent years, these agencies have taken to suing the debtors to collect the money.
Debt buyers often rely on software programs designed to help them find debtors who are past due on their payments. This software clogs up the court system with cases. It may also lead to errors, creating flaws in the case against you. When this happens, the lawsuits may be dismissed out of hand. When they’re not, the Houston debt collections defense lawyers of the Law Office of David A. Fernandez, P.C. are prepared to fight. We have helped hundreds of people facing debt collection lawsuits. We’re familiar with the debt collector laws in Texas and understand that you may have advantages you didn’t know existed.
We’re passionate about your debt defense
At the Law Office of David A. Fernandez, P.C., we believe that you have a right to live without the stress and anxiety that debt collectors cause. We have years of experience defending clients against suits involving:
- Medical debts. You may be entitled to more care and services than you think. Or you may have paid more than you should have. Our medical debt attorneys review your medical and financial histories as well as your insurance plan to see what debts can be eliminated.
- Judgment liens. We believe that being behind on your debts doesn’t justify losing the home, vehicle or possessions you’ve worked so hard for. At the Law Office of David A. Fernandez, P.C., you have a judgment defense lawyer who fights against the excessive penalties associated with judgments.
- Breach of contract. Credit card companies often claim breach of contract when they file a lawsuit against you. Working with a debt collections defense attorney in Houston may help you prove that no such contract was ever signed. We also strive to prove that the business records against you are faulty, which can have the alleged evidence against you suppressed or thrown out of court.
We work with you to explore the options available to you. We always offer you candid and direct advice, never forcing you into an option that makes you uncomfortable. It’s our number one goal to have your cases dismissed, but when we can’t, we create innovative strategies to protect your rights inside and outside of the courtroom.
Speak with skilled debt collections defense lawyers in Houston about your case in a free initial phone consultation
We know that you may be frightened when you discover that you’re part of a debt collection suit. At the Law Office of David A. Fernandez, P.C., we do everything in our power to eliminate that fear, and let you take back control of your life.. To speak with an experienced debt defense lawyer, contact our firm by phone at 713-893-3244 or online.